Stage 4 + 5
Here’s a healthy spin on a sweet family favorite. Preparing this dish in muffin tins instead of one large dish is a fun way to teach portion control while offering each family member their very own cobbler.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
For peach filling:
In a large bowl, combine peach slices, ¼ cup of applesauce, flour, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and honey. Scoop fruit mixture into 9 equal portions in a muffin tin.
In a medium bowl, stir together crushed graham crackers, rolled oats and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Add melted butter and remaining ¼ cup of applesauce to the dry mixture. Top evenly over peach filling.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until peaches are bubbly and the topping is golden brown.
*If making for a child under 1, substitute raw sugar for honey.
Recipe Yields: 9 Servings
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ tsp sea salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, room temperature
1 cup flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cold water
Use beaters or food processor to mix butter and salt until creamy. Add cheese and mix well. Gradually add flour, baking powder and water. Mix until dough begins to form a ball. Then, form dough into a ball with hands.
Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll the dough into 1/8 inch thickness onto a cookie sheet. Remove the top piece of parchment paper, and cut rolled out dough into 1 ½ inch squares. Bake 15 minutes at 350° or until lightly browned. Turn off the oven and leave the crackers inside to crisp up. Store in an airtight container.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt stick of butter in a pan on the stove. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. Add the liquids: syrup, water, vanilla and melted butter.
5. Stir well until a nice ball of dough is formed.
6. Cut two pieces of Parchment paper the size of the cookie sheet.
7. Lay one piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet.
8. Place the ball of dough on the parchment paper.
9. Lay the other piece of parchment paper on top of the ball of dough. Squish dough down a little with your fist.
10. Use the rolling pin to roll the dough between the pieces of parchment paper. Roll until the dough covers the whole cookie sheet.
11. Remove the top piece of parchment paper. Cut rolled dough into 2 inch squares, or cut shapes with cookie cutters, being sure to separate the shapes from the surrounding dough a little.
12. Bake in oven for 18 minutes.
13. Turn oven off, but leave crackers in the oven to crisp up.
14. Remove from oven after 30 minutes to 1 hour. Break graham crackers apart.
15. Store in an air tight container.